When black mold invades a property, it can cause numerous health problems among the people who live and work in the building. Perhaps you and others inside a building or home have coughs that won’t go away. It’s important to investigate whether black mold could be a problem, and whether you are living or working in a so-called “sick building.”

Some of the symptoms that people struck by black mold found in a residence may include:

  • Stuffy noses
  • Wheezing
  • Red, itchy eyes
  • Itchy skin
  • Asthma attacks
  • Various kinds of allergic reactions
  • Shortness of breath
  • Fever symptoms
  • More severe symptoms among people who suffer from immune diseases

Because of the threat of the above symptoms the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) issued the recommendation that black mold be removed as quickly as possible to protect the health and well-being of those who live or work around it.

Building owners may have a legal obligation to resolve mold problems with their properties to prevent the workers inside them and the tenants who live there from developing even more serious issues. A building owner who fails to fix these kinds of problems could be liable to pay for the costs associated with medical care and other damages suffered by employees.

Were you hurt by a sick building? Did you unknowingly buy a sick building or a sick home? Are you an employee who became ill because of the air quality of the building you worked in? You may want to investigate your legal rights under Arizona civil law to seek compensation for your injuries and damages.

Source: The Republic, “Goodyear homeowners battle company over black-mold removal,” Rebekah L. Sanders, May 16, 2018